« Home | Bus of Death » | Effected » | This is my territory » | Me vs the Invisible Psychic Dog » | In the beginning... »

The Committee

I live in a housing complex, and last night I had my first committee meeting. I'm on the committee, but I have no idea how that happened. I think at the last general meeting I was asleep and they voted me in without my knowledge. I don't even know what title I hold, but I think it's treasurer.

I went to the meeting at 7pm with high hopes of being back by 7:15pm and set for a good night of Counter Strike. I failed to overlook the obvious flaw.

The committee comprises 5 old people and me.

The chairman had the agenda before her, and I could see the items flowing down the page. Every 30 seconds or so I'd glance over at it. After an hour of this, with no progress made, I knew I was in for a long night.

So what was discussed? Well there was one old grump who seemed keen to interject with an irrelevant story at every conceivable opportunity. Like the one about the nurses he knew once who used to throw spanners over hospital gates to get them to open. Don't ask for elaboration on that one. Also, nearly every story involved him digging a trench. That's right, a trench. He had some morbid fascination with them. His other great love was an unusual catch phrase, "A pain in the pinfeathers." It appeared without fail in each story. "Those roofing tiles are a pain in the pinfeathers." "Digging that trench was a pain in the pinfeathers."

A couple of the ladies were also fascinated with a young woman in number 35 who, to their way of thinking, was a tramp. A hairdresser had visited her recently and stayed for a couple of hours. This meant they were having sex, because a game of bridge couldn't possibly go that long. There was also a case of her removing fence palings at the back of her residence to admit an entire football team in secret. Suggestions were then made and discussed about how many she "had relations" with.

And before long those agenda items started to look as insurmountable as a trip to Jupiter by skateboard. When I finally did get out of there, I had only one question.

What the crap is a pinfeather?

Lol, I don't think you'd be the only cause. I've been on the downward spiral for too long now to attribute it to any one factor. ;)

Hahahahaha "pain in the pinfeathers!" That sounds so hilarious, I just may use it myself. People will wonder where the hell I got the saying from. And I will tell them of your blog. I'd say that's as good a way to spread word around if there ever was one. :D

Lol that's not a bad idea at all Panda. People will think I'm a lunatic, but my blog traffic will increase... I think that's a fair trade. :)

Lordy. How did you keep from going insane?! I would've found that entire meeting a pain in the pinfeathers ;) hehe

"...keep your enemies closer" It's better to be within the inner circle of the committee than to be the one shagging the football team.

If you are treasurer does that mean they gave you money to manage?

Unfortunately no, the titles are purely for show it seems. Imagine all the erm... pinfeathers I could have bought. ;)

Post a Comment