« Home | Favourite job of the week » | Animation number 2 » | Hot stuff » | It's a girl » | Philosophical Post » | Song lyrics and weird brain stuff » | Book meme » | My first animation » | Really smart or... » | Three Dee »

Intruder Alert

There was a feline issue I touched on a few months ago here involving our cats marking their territory, which is nowhere near as bad as it was, but still happening now and again. It seems to have become a little worse since we opened up the windows and doors again for the warmer weather.

I'm pretty sure the cause of it all is next door's cats. There are two of them: a black one, who I call 'Ugly', and a stripey one I call 'Smelly'. Those pesky little buggers are always in our yard taunting our cats, who are housebound. In fact, our cats are housebound because every time we let them out there was trouble with Ugly and Smelly.

If it weren't for a very sensitive Ms B restraining me, I would have taken more aggressive action against the cats being in the yard, such as a big boot up the arse or a tennis ball between the eyes at high velocity. We've been checking some less harmful ways of preventing Ugly and Smelly wandering where we don't want them.

This ultrasonic gizmo has a detection range of about ten metres. When cats come a-wandering, this little baby emits an ultrasonic barrage on the cat and sends them scurrying. Or at least that's the theory. After a while the cat learns not to enter the region. This one sounded good to us, so we put in an order, but it ended up being cancelled due to an inability to stock the item. In my heart I wanted one that shot tennis balls at the cats rather than beeping at them, so I'm not too disheartened.





Scarecrow was the one I liked the sound of. It's a mean looking little contraption that detects movement and then shoots out water, once again sending the intruder scurrying. We ruled this one out due to the shocking water restrictions we have here at the moment.








The Scary Man is actually a bird repellent, but I included it because I love the picture. I actually see two scary men in this picture, which one arrives in your letterbox if you order it, I wonder?

I guess my other option is to sit out on my back patio 24 hours a day with a tennis ball in hand and my arm cocked. Or I'm sure my fellow bloggers will have some suggestions.

seriously now... how is that meant to scare a bird? It doesn't even look like a person!

Have scarecrows ever scared off birds? They seem to view them as handy perches more than anything.

Are there any scents/chemicals you could use? An anti-catnip? A cat kryptonite if you will. I talked to a lady gardener once and she had a cat problem but she used orange peel or some natural substance that cats hated the smell of - she peppered it through the garden beds and never had a problem with them.

Alternatively, good old fashioned electric fence? Barbed wire? ;)

You could get one of those motion sensor Nerf dart shooters.

I discovered compressed air scares the crap out of my house mates cat... don't ask. I was cleaning my computer at the time.

Good idea Stu. Check out the Airzooka. For all your compressed air needs :) I got this for my bro last Xmas and he loved it.

Lol compressed air hey? The Airzooka looks cool! I can picture myself launching the cats into the stratosphere.

"Honey I never touched them".

Thanks for the advice! :D

Get a dog. Simple. :)

If you see the cats owners tell them to get em desexed although it most likely won't make a difference.

2 parts cayenne pepper
3 parts dry mustard
5 parts flour
Mix together and sprinkle in the problem areas, but NOT where your own cats might walk in it.

Be careful with this. Cats will walk on it, get it on their paws and then it stings when they lick it off. Some say this is too cruel. The cats might even get it in their eyes. But I suppose it depends on how bad the problem is.

I'm nearly brought to tears myself, though, when I find the remains of native lizards and birds that have met an untimely end at the hands (paws) of the neighbour's cat.

Forget the airzooka for cats. I want to use it on co-workers :p

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be looking into them.

It's probably a bit mean, but a water pistol full of diluted Pine-o-cleen might do the trick. Cats hate the smell. It would also be satisfactorily game-like - you could trade in the PS2 for a super soaker for a little while ;)

Post a Comment