« Home | It's a girl » | Philosophical Post » | Song lyrics and weird brain stuff » | Book meme » | My first animation » | Really smart or... » | Three Dee » | Fun with a squeegee » | MC Bonestorm » | Can I help you? »

Hot stuff

Like hot food?

A friend of mine in the office is now the proud owner of a bottle Mad Dog 357 Collector's Edition, which he had to import from the States to get his hands on. It's not wine. I guess with a name like 'mad dog' that's readily apparent. It's actually hot sauce. Or maybe hot doesn't quite do it justice.

Let's put this in context first. They use what's called the Scoville scale to measure the hotness of chillis or anything derived from chillis. This was named after some nutcase in the early 1900s who went around tasting really, really hot chillis, for reasons we can only speculate upon.

Tabasco sauce rates about 2,500 on the Scoville scale. So does a jalepeno. So 2,500 is reasonably hot, right?

Pepper spray, at the other end of the scale, rates 2,000,000.

The Mad Dog 357 Collector's Edition rates 600,000 on the Scoville scale.

That's right, this sauce is 250 times hotter than a jalepeno. It's a third as hot as pepper spray. The stuff they use to incapactitate criminals, or burn a hole through solid concrete, or whatever it is they do with it.

Suffice to say that my friend tried a drop or two of Mad Dog on his sandwich and was writhing around in pain for 20 minutes afterwards.

That's not the worst of it though. There's a sauce on the market called Blair's 16 Million Reserve. I don't have to tell you what the 16 million means, do I?

So in case pepper spray isn't hot enough to use on your hot dog, you can buy some of this sauce, for your eating pleasure, that is 8 times as potent as pepper spray.

I'm going to make the assumption that if a drop of Blair's doesn't kill you instantly, it will at minimum burn your face off and leave you wearing bandages ala The Mummy for the rest of your life.

I love a nice hot curry but to me this crosses the line between getting a chilli buzz and self immolation.

Why are the scale numbers so outlandish? And I wonder how horseradish sauce rates on it (you know, the green Japanese stuff - I can't remember the name of it now). It's the hottest stuff I've ever tried but it's like a cold heat. Weird.

Wasabi! That's it.

Who needs rocket fuel, that hotsauce would do the trick.

Yeh Boff I'd like to see a conversion done on Wasabi to see how it rates. Since it's made from horseradish the Scoville scale can't be used. Somewhere around 3000 - 5000 at a guess.

Looks like you would need a beer or two with that sauce.

I have to get my hands on a bottle and the horseradishes are quite something :)

I worked with a guy who brought some similar stuff in. We all had a little bit on our fingers. Painful to say the least. One guy actuall touched one of his watering eyes. He spent the rest of the day in the first aid room washing his eyes out with nitrogen or something.... v. funny but completely pointless.

My boss at work reckons he wants to try this sauce tomorrow so my workmate is bringing it in. This is going to be awesome.

I'm amazed it does not just burn through the bottle.

What's next? Acid on your sandwich?

I think there is a shop you can get this stuff. A colleague of mine at work is into these things. Fireworks Foods rings a vague bell. I think they were in Melbourne.

Post a Comment