« Home | Intruder Alert » | Favourite job of the week » | Animation number 2 » | Hot stuff » | It's a girl » | Philosophical Post » | Song lyrics and weird brain stuff » | Book meme » | My first animation » | Really smart or... »

Bonehead Client of the Week Award

Bonestorm's inaugural Bonehead Client of the Week Award goes to...

A lady who called me up from a hotel in Sydney, where she's staying at the moment. She couldn't turn her laptop on. Now we've all heard the stories of dumb end users calling up because they don't have their computer plugged into the power etc, but this one actually happened and I can verify it personally.

Award recipient: Nothing is coming up on the screen.
Bonestorm: So it doesn't boot into Windows? Is the power plugged into the wall?
Award recipient: Yes.
Five more minutes of this conversation continues
Bonestorm: Are there any beeps or noises when you turn it on?
Award recipient: How do I turn it on?
Crickets chirping.
...
...
Bonestorm: You don't know how to turn the laptop on? Is it your laptop?
Award recipient: Yes it's mine. Where is the On button?

I eventually talk her through turning the machine on, all the while wondering how she turns it on every other day... or wondering if her admin assistant does it for her. Conversation ends, I close the job.

Five minutes later the phone rings and I can see it's her mobile number again. This is going to be good.

Award recipient: Hello I've got the laptop started now.
Bonestorm: Very good.
Award recipient: But now I can't access the internet.
Bonestorm: Oh really? How are you connected to the internet?
Award recipient: Through the hotel's broadband system. The hotel told me that their broadband system is down and that technicians are working on it. Is that why the internet isn't coming up?
Crickets chirping. Lots and lots of crickets.
...
...
...
Bonestorm: I'd say that's the reason, yes.

I can only be thankful I didn't have to talk her through connecting via modem as she decided to wait for the hotel to fix it's connection. A worthy recipient of this prestigious award, I must say.

It makes me wonder how people like this actually function in their day-to-day lives. I mean, what happens when she uses her ATM card? Or shouldn't I ask?! :)

I don't assume these people are this dumb. I believe I should start, and speak to them as though they are 2 years old. Like they do to me.

She may be a blogger! :P

Maybe she wears a nappy..

I wonder if she sits in her house with everything un-plugged and wonders why she can't watch TV or cook food in the microwave.

Boff: She probably asks passers by for her PIN.

Token: They do get to you after a while, don't they?

Chicky: Let's hope not! :)

Huggies: I don't need to ask what brand, do I? :p

Stu: Thankfully I don't have to support the rest of her appliances. I can picture her home life now though.

Oh was that YOU Bonestorm?
Thanks so much for being patient with me :P

I'd like to know how to turn my laptop off - but is a psychology thing with me!

great story.

Post a Comment